Thursday, December 22, 2011

Greetings of the Seasons!


Dear Friends and Family,                                                                                                      
Because this is our first Christmas together, and because I don’t have finals and studying to worry about, it is incumbent upon me to write the Christmas letter. This also means Preston has no input, and I get to put my own spin on everything. And since we have no money, it's not going out in the mail. So there. Huzzah!
For my part, I can easily say this has been the most eventful and meaningful year of my life. By far. At the beginning of the year, I found myself, a newly returned missionary, waiting for an elder that I was pretty sure I really liked. My family and I spent a week down in California, visiting the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, and Disneyland. We had a blast, and I began making plans with my best friend Sandy to move down there, in order to be closer to the aforementioned elder, once he got home. Miracles happened, and I ended up in an apartment in SoCal for an unheard of $250 a month. Still waiting for that elder. By generosity of that certain elder’s father, he flew home from the Philippines, on March 31st, and I happened to be on the same flight that flew from LA to his hometown of Fresno. Sitting right next to Elder Preston Trebas. (To see his reaction to such a surprise, visit youtube.)
The whole next week I got to stay with him and his fantastic family, and had a blast the entire time. We dated a little less than two months, in which there were a few trips back and forth between Fresno and Long Beach. In the second weekend in May, we had flown to my parents’ house in Boise so they could meet him, and unbeknownst to me, so he could ask my dad for my hand in marriage, and so that he could propose in my home town. On May 15th during a break in a rainstorm, Preston got down on one knee on top of Table Rock, and asked me to marry him. I actually didn’t really answer at first, but I just kept giggling. He had to ask if that was a yes, to which I replied in the affirmative. The wedding planning began.
In June, I moved in with Preston’s family, and from there, we both went to Utah. We helped his brother and sister-in-law move, and then I moved back up to Boise. He stayed to work in Utah and find us a place to live. He visited me about 5 or 6 weekends between that time and August, and we hated the distance. But it ended up being really good for us and time flew.
August 12 arrived, and, surrounded by treasured family and friends, we were sealed for time and all eternity in the temple of the Lord. San Diego was gorgeous, and it was the perfect wedding. After wild dancing at the Fresno reception, a beautiful honeymoon traveling the coast, and another FAIRYTALE reception in Boise, we were ready to go to our new home in Springville, Utah, and just be a married couple. Preston started school, and after 3 interviews, became a teacher, mentor, and friend to missionaries leaving for the Philippines. It is a dream job, and he thoroughly enjoys it. I love the added spirit to our home when he shares experiences with me. I wasn’t blessed with a job until the beginning of October, but what a blessing it is! I work for excellent people, and am privileged to have such a perfect job.
We miss and talk about the Philippines on a daily basis. We want to return as soon as possible, which means probably not for a while. But at this time of year, we can’t help but be grateful for each other, our ridiculously supportive and awesome families, and friends that highlight the best times of our lives. We are so grateful for all of you, and are especially grateful for our Savior, whose birth we commemorate at this time of year. May you all be blessed and feel of His love as well as ours, and may you be surrounded by loved ones while having a very merry Christmas.
Love,
Preston and Becky Trebas 
December 22, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Aww I love this. I seriously love how I am included in your love story! You are the best! I love you. Merry Christmas to all!!

    ReplyDelete